What are the Dimensions of a Disabled Changing Room?
In shopping and leisure facilities wheelchair users should be able to approach, transfer to and use the disabled changing facilities.
The recommended dimensions of a disabled shower and changing room are at least 2200mm deep x 2000mm wide.
Design considerations of a disabled changing room include :
- Doors should preferably be outward opening and are fitted with a horizontal closing bar fixed to the inside face.
- A wall mounted tip-up seat should be supplied.
- An emergency assistance alarm system should be reachable from the wall mounted tip-up seat or the floor.
- Blue colour contrasting grab rails should be installed against white background walls for the visually impaired.
- The correct number, size, and positioning of grab rails should be installed within the room.
Commercial Washrooms can supply all of the correct products for your disabled changing room installation.
Further information on the size and layout requirements of a disabled changing room can be found at HM Government's Document M of the building regulations.
As always, our team are at the end of the telephone for all your queries and questions and have a wealth of knowledge they’re happy to share with you. So if you need some guidance, or would like to talk over your options, you can give them a call on 01202 650900.